The Southern Province Road Passenger Transport Authority which is operated under the powers of the Southern Province Road Passenger Transport Authority statute no 2 of 1996 and amended statute no 1 of 2009, as per powers vested by provincial council act no 42 of 1987, Under the 13th amendment of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka.
Southern Province Road Passenger Transport Authority is established for regulating and functioning the Road Passenger Carriage services originating within the province, coming into or crossing the southern province, and also to regulate over the other matters connected therewith or incidental thereto
Be it passed by the southern provincial council as the policy of the Southern Province Road Passenger Transport Authority is as follows:
- To promote the relevant services by sufficient quantity and quality to meet the passenger transport needs of the public coming under the Authority of the Southern Provincial Council and for the equitable distribution of such services throughout the Southern ProvinceTo ensure healthy competition prevailing among the providers of such services
- To ensure healthy competition prevailing among the providers of such servicesThe regulation of the transport services of both the state and private sectors engaged in the safe, the comfortable and efficient performance of the transport requirements of the public.
- The regulation of the transport services of both the state and private sectors engaged in the safe, the comfortable and efficient performance of the transport requirements of the public.To provide
- To provide infrastructural facilities for all the passenger and other Para transport services which are regulated.
1. Development of Passenger Transport Facilities
i. Bus Stands & Halting Places with Optimal Facilities
ii. Continuously, Developed & Maintenance Transport Facilities
2. Productivity Enhancement
i. IT as the backbone for transport Services
ii. Optimized Running Time
iii. Fully Trained & Mortivated Stake Holders for Better Service
3. Fully Regularized Para Transport Service
i. Permitted Para Transport Services Maintained
ii. Infrastructure Facilities & Equipment for Better Services in Place
4. Institutional Capacity Enhancement
i. Trained & Skilled, Officers at all levels
ii. Developed Infrastructure Facilities & equipment
5. Good Governance
i. Conflict Free Management & Friendly Grievances Handlingii
ii. Monitored & Evaluation of performance of the institution, Programmes & Projectsiii. Adherence to the circulars, Guidelines & Recommendations
iii. Adherence to the circulars, Guidelines & Recommendations
Southern Province Road Passenger Transport Authority
To be the Premier Passenger Transport Services Facilitator in Sri Lanka
To promote the development of passenger transport service with efficiency, quality and quantity to meet the transport needs of the passengers and to provide equitable distribution of the Passenger service in southern province on the basis of social needs in friendly manner.
- 2015 – Launched EagleEye website
- 2009 – Launched SPRPTA website
- 2006 – Porto opens it doors in London
- 2003 – Inauguration of the new office
- 1996 – SPRPTA Established